Obstacles in the system of learning :
Learning is a life long process. It continues till the concluding moments of life. Learning comes through two ways. The first one is socio-domestic environment and the second one is the school. The pattern of learning in the school is well planned and formal. A child has to learn certain things in a certain period whether the child has interest to learn it or not.
- Absence of this sort of interest is the principal obstacle in the system of learning.
- Involvement is yet another problem. The child can not be involved in the process of learning without self interest.
- Psychological problems of children also hamper the process of learning.
- The child finds wrong method of cramming as a solution of these obstacles. Even teachers and parents encourage the habit of cramming.
Hence, the child goes on passing classes one after another, but the development of his personality is not upto the standard.
[Poster of WHAT CHILDREN LIKE]
The Solution :
The subject material for learning cannot be changed for the interest sake of a child. Nothing but the method of teaching can be changed. The question comes in the mind about the type of teaching. Teaching should cater to the interest of the children. A teacher ought to search the very soft, delicate and tender sensation of the child. The child takes interest in laughing, dancing, singing, mimicry playing, sounds, animals, birds and many more countless elements. If our method of teaching covers the above mentioned elements of the magical world of a child, the child will take interest in learning of every subject.
The concept of TiE - Theatre in Education :
Long long ago, a great philosopher and educationist Ivan Ilitch declared, “The school is dead.” Hence, he gave the concept of D-Schooling society. A society, which has no school. This concept raises the question on the technique of teaching.
Today subject material, curriculum and syllabus are proper and balanced. The method of teaching is the only lacunae of it. Theatre has a great quality in itself i.e. liveness. Only this quality can turn a dead school in to a live one.
TiE is not a new concept. It is like reviving an old concept. Opulent Natya Shastra, which is known as the “Pancham Veda” is the unique creation of Bharat Muni. He propounded three parts of acting.
- Angik - is related to Body Movements.
- Vachik - is related to Better Speech.
- Aharya - is related to the property.
If we make full use of the objects of children's choice like birds, animals, sound, songs, dance, mimicry, story in the form of Angik, Vachik and Aharya, learning becomes joyful, easy and permanent. Simultaneously it will increase the energy level of a child.
When we blend music, painting, dancing and all other arts, it takes the form of theatre. Hence, theatre is a whole art.
The teacher converts the teaching point into a dramatic form, and he executes the same in the class room through children. Children find treasure of pleasure in it. Hence, two things are done together. The subject material is taught through it without burden.
This not only sheds the fear and hitch of student but also instills a sort of confidence in him or her which he or she can never find through reading of a lesson.
Student unrest is prevalent amongst the youth today. They are given to vices. The countless youth of today is going astray. If plays are written according to their requirements, they can produce miraculous results. These plays shall bring change into the nature and attitude of the youth. Accountability will develop into them.
The concept of TiE is used very nicely in western countries but in India a lot more is yet to be done.
Thus, theatre can bring a revolutionary change in the field of Education. Only research and innovations are required.
Four Tier Programme:
We have four tier programme to execute our concept.
- Teacher’s Training Program : The first one is connected with teacher's training so that teachers can use theatre as a tool. In this programme we give training of certain dramatic techniques. It includes creativity, scene formation, children psychology and all those elements which are necessary for the implementation of the concept - Theatre in Education. It is also helpful to make TiE teaching Program sustainable in the schools.
- TiE teaching for students : The second one is related to actual class room teaching. In this programme we go to a school, select a class of pre-primary, primary and upper primary level and any subject of its syllabus. Then we select a chapter for TiE teaching after the interaction with students. We prepare a T.L.P. - “Theatrical Lesson Plan”, with the help of children and train them to perform it. Children get joyful and permanent learning in the process of practice of the T.L.P. This approach of teaching also enhances the power of expression of children.
- Parent’s Consultancy Program : The third one is related to the parents. In this programme we give our consultancy regarding the specific problems of children education.
- Youth Awareness Program : The fourth and last one is related to youth awareness. In this programme we prepare plays for the youth. We channalise their energy in the process of rehearsal and performance of these plays.